A few words about our Programme
The Cooperation Programme “Greece-Bulgaria 2014-2020” was approved by the European Commission on 13/12/2016 by Decision C(2016)8708.
The total budget (ERDF and national contribution) for the European Territorial Programme “Greece-Bulgaria 2007-2013” is €130,262,835.00 .The total financing consists of €110.723.409,75 (85%) ERDF funding and €19.539.425,25 (15%) national contribution.
The eligible area of the Programme consists of the Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (Prefectures of Evros, Kavala, Xanthi, Rodopi and Drama) and the Region of Central Macedonia (Prefectures of Thessaloniki and Serres) in Greece and the South-Central Planning Region and South-West Planning Region (Districts of Blagoevgrad, Smolyan, Kardjali and Haskovo) in Bulgaria.
The Greece-Bulgaria cross-border cooperation area for the programming period 2014-2020 is identical to the current ETC programme. It extends to 40.202 km2 and has a total population of 2.7 million inhabitants. It covers four territorial units at NUTS II level (Regions), and 11 territorial units at NUTS III level (Districts). The eligible area extends across the entire Greek-Bulgarian border and is neighbouring with Turkey (east) and FYROM (west), both countries aspiring to access to the EU. It is part of the most south-eastern non-insular area of EU, and it is situated between three seas: the Black Sea, the Mediterranean Sea and the Ionian-Adriatic Sea. Finally, it sits at the crossroad of strategic fossil fuel pipelines supplying the EU market and TEN transport axes.
The settlement structure of the area is characterized by the presence of 10 medium-large cities (>50.000 inhabitants) which accumulate 38,2% of total population, and 25 small cities (10.000-50.000 inhabitants).
Despite the historically relatively small amounts of funds allocated, there is a long history of cooperation in the eligible area, which started with Community initiative INTERREG I (1989-1993).
The priority axes are:
PA 1: A Competitive and Entrepreneurship Promoting Cross-Border Area
PA 2: A Sustainable and climate adaptable Cross-Border area
PA 3: A better interconnected Cross-Border Area
PA 4: A socially inclusive Cross-Border area
PA 5: Technical Assistance
“Promotion and development of natural and cultural heritage of Bulgarian – Greek cross-border region through smart and digital tools”, with acronym "eTOURIST" Subsidy contract № В2.6с.07/09.10.2017, financed under the INTERREG V-A Cooperation Program "Greece-Bulgaria 2014-2020".
Project overall objective
is to promote & develop cultural & natural heritage, gastronomy & wine in CB area Haskovo-Evros for tourist purposes.
1) Assessment of cultural & natural heritage sites & traditional culinary & wine important for tourist purposes in Haskovo-Evros region;
2) Support for development of natural & cultural heritage, traditional culinary & wine in Haskovo-Evros;
3) Cultural & natural heritage of CB area Haskovo–Evros - closer to tourists;
5) Promoting cultural & natural heritage of CB area;
6) Improved knowledge on CB traditional culinary & wine
Work package 1: Project Management & Coordination
Work package 2: Communication & Dissemination
Work package 3: Integrated eTOURIST methodology for cultural & natural sites and for traditional culinary & wine
Work package 4: Development of eTOURIST package
Work package 5: Valorization of Haskovo-Evros traditional culinary & wine
Work package 6: eTOURIST on the global tourism market
Work package 1
- 8 partners' meetings
- preparation of progress reports
Work package 2
- 4 press conferences
- 1 Final scientific conference
- 2 Project Closing Events (1 in Bulgaria and 1 in Greece)
- 1000 information brochures
- 1 project logo
- 2 information boards
- 2 banners
- 1 video for cultural & natural heritage in CB region
- 39 media publications for project promotion, social media presentation of eTOURIST & the project
- communication materials and tools
- project web site and social media presentation of the project
Work package 3
- 1 study of sites of natural & cultural heritage in Haskovo - Evros CB region & identification of sites of high importance for the area related to their valorization for tourist purposes
- 1 study of traditional culinary & wine of Haskovo-Evros region
- 1 integrated e-TOURIST methodology for Bulgarian & Greek sites
- developed strategic guidelines for image building of the Bulgarian Region as a tourist destination
- developed strategic guidelines for image building of the Greek Region as a tourist destination
Work package 4
- Developed 1 eTOURIST package, incl. 1 application for smart devices for CB cultural & natural sites, gastronomy & wine - eTOURIST;1 interactive digital web portal "Cultural & natural heritage of Haskovo-Evros"; digitalized cultural & natural sites important for CB area; digitalized traditional culinary & wine; developed video tours for cultural & natural sites, for traditional recipes & wine important for CB area
- developed VR web virtual tour
- purchased all-in-one virtual reality devices
- 1 QR codes app for interactions between visitors & museum in Greece
Work package 5
- 3 trainings for valorization of traditional culinary & wine
- 2 CB festivals on traditional culinary & wine
- 9 trainings, organized by the Lead partner and 9 trainings, organized by Partner 3 for different target groups on presenting the cross-border region
Work package 6
- eTOURIST promotion on international tourist exhibition
- Lead Beneficiary: Regional Municipalities Association “Maritza”
Established in 1997, Regional Municipalities Association “Maritza” aims to become a center for innovation and development of the region by combining the efforts and potential of all key players at local and regional level.
6300 Haskovo, str."Tzar Osvoboditel" 4
Business Incubator, 6310 v. Klokotniza
Tel.: +359 38 66 5021
Fax: +359 38 66 4869
- Project Beneficiary 2: DIMOSSINETERISTIKI EVROS SA
Founded in 1991, Dimossineteristiki Evros SA is an organization representing and assisting local authorities, state authorities and collective structures of rural areas, incl. manufacturers in Evros Prefecture.
Address: Provatonas 68003 Evros Greece
+30 25540 41800
- Project Beneficiary 3: Ethnological Museum of Thrace - Aggeliki Giannakidou
The Thracian Ethnological Museum is a non-profit organization founded in 2002 to preserve Thrace's historical memory as well as to study and present Thracian culture. The museum is located in Alexandroupolis in a stone neoclassical building built in 1899.
Address: 14 Maiou 63, PC 68100, Alexandroupolis
Тel.: 25510 36663
- Project Beneficiary 4: ACTIVE CITIZENS PARTNERSHIP
Partnership for Active Citizens is a non-profit organization with extensive experience in designing and supporting programs that meet contemporary social needs and protects and helps vulnerable groups at national and European level.
Mesogion 392, Agia Paraskevi 15342
Period of implementation:
09/10/2017 - 08/08/2021