A belfry of impressive size and unforgettable views rises over the town of Haskovo. The nearly 30-metre-high bell tower was erected in 2010 in close proximity to the Monument of the Holy Mother of God and quickly became an integral part of the resulting architectural ensemble. Eight bells of different sizes are placed at its top.
A curious fact is that some of them were manufactured at the Veleganov Bell Foundry based in Plovdiv. The bell foundry was established in 1872 and its initial period of operation coincided with the pre-Liberation period in Bulgaria. The Veleganov brothers took part in the preparation of the April Uprising by casting bullets and small lion emblems for the rebels.
Promoting and developing the natural and cultural heritage of the Bulgarian-Greek cross-border region through smart and electronic instruments - eTOURIST
"This webpage has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of the webpage are sole responsibility of and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union, the participating countries the Managing Authority and the Joint Secretariat".
"The Project is co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and by national funds of the countries participating in the Interreg V-A “Greece-Bulgaria 2014-2020” Cooperation Programme."
European UnionThe project is implemented with the financial support of the EU