Scan with our application for additional information.
You can download our application from Google Play
and App Store
Silk Factory Tzivre
Tzivre Silk Factory is located in Soufli, at the entrance of the city. Its imposing, towering chimney, though smoke-free for half a century, welcomes visitors to one of the most important silk production centers of the 20th century. Tzivre Silk Factory is essentially an industrial complex of 13 buildings, built in 1909, by the Italian house of Milan "Ceriano Fratelli". It operated until the Bulgarian Occupation, and after its end in 1920, the Tzivre Silk Factory was bought by the Jewish brothers Bochor and Eliezer Tzivre, who enriched it, strengthened it and kept it in production until the 1960s. During the interwar period, the factory's production increased: the largest European companies bought silk from Soufli, as it can be seen from Eliezer Tzivre's client list. At least 150 workers from the area are employed in the factory, even during difficult times. The German Occupation in 1941 closed the Tzivre Silk Factory and its raw materials and products were confiscated. The end of the war finds a different world, the production of silk has dropped significantly and the factory closed permanently in the early 1960s! The production facilities and premises are still considered to be one of the largest in Northeastern Greece. Today the building belongs to the municipality of Soufli and is planned to be restored into a museum and multicenter.