The post-Byzantine church of Agia Anastasia of Pharmakolytria was built in 1800 on the same site where there was a church dedicated to St. Anastasia. In the year 1833 the church was renovated and expanded to the north with the addition of a second simple elevated aisle. The church is architecturally built of stone with a royal tiled roof and a suspended canopy. The temple also preserves silver sacred vessels such as chalice, gospels, wedding wreaths, holy crosses, swimming pools dating from the 18th and 20th centuries as well as well-preserved embroidered epitaphs with an excellent representation of the life of Christ and coming from Jerusalem. The remains of 5 new martyrs from Samothrace who martyred in 1863 in Makri as well as two of the iron hooks with which the Ottomans tortured the Saints are kept inside the church.
Promoting and developing the natural and cultural heritage of the Bulgarian-Greek cross-border region through smart and electronic instruments - eTOURIST
"This webpage has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of the webpage are sole responsibility of and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union, the participating countries the Managing Authority and the Joint Secretariat".
"The Project is co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and by national funds of the countries participating in the Interreg V-A “Greece-Bulgaria 2014-2020” Cooperation Programme."
European UnionThe project is implemented with the financial support of the EU